Apartment living offers many advantages, but when it comes to exercising inside, it can be a little challenging. This is mainly due to limited space and the need to keep the noise down. If you find yourself in this boat, here are a few tips to help you stay in shape whilst also keeping your neighbours happy.

    It’s really easy to up the noise factor when doing cardio – your neighbours definitely won’t appreciate you jumping rope for instance.

    However, there are plenty of quiet cardio exercises you can do that will still get your heart racing, such as side kicks or mountain climbers. Many of these exercises don’t require a lot of space, although you might need to shift the coffee table temporarily.

    This routine from Greatist offers a great combination of quiet cardio and strength exercises to get you started.

    You could also consider incorporating some light weight training as you do these exercises, for example using small hand weights when you’re doing lunges. No need to invest in expensive bulky equipment either. Use a can of beans or a full bottle of laundry detergent instead


    Most apartment complexes have at least two floors with stair connections, so why not take advantage of this?

    Climbing up and down a few flights in quick succession burns just as much calories as a short run. It’s also great for building endurance and strengthening muscles. You can incorporate this as a part of your exercise routine, and take it one step further by opting to use the stairs instead of the lift when leaving or returning home.


    Alternate your high-impact workouts with a yoga session. There are plenty of online tutorials that will get you downward-dogging or saluting the sun in no time. This type of exercise gives you a great full body workout, and is also highly adaptable, so it can be as strenuous or gentle as you like.

These are just a few tips to help you remain active in a smaller apartment space. We hope you find them helpful.

Note: before commencing any exercise regime, please ensure you consult your medical professional.